Like every sports organisation, the club cancelled organised training sessions, in March.
🚨However we’re now really excited to be able to share our club plan to trial a resumption of group training in August, within the Scottish Athletics framework. You can read our full club coronavirus plan here.🚨
Whilst it’s aimed at our existing membership just now, if you’d like to be notified when we’re able to invite new members to join us, do please get in touch!
Running is a sport we can continue – within the applicable social distancing rules and regulations – on our own. Just because we couldn’t train together, it didn’t mean we couldn’t rally around to support and motivate each other right through the crisis.
It’s training, just different!
Here’s some of the things we’ve been up to, and we’ll be sure to keep this page updated as we go with things as we go! Stay tuned to our news page and social media pages for more details!
A huge and heartfelt thank you to all our members for their amazing ideas, contributions, enthusiasm and support throughout. It means a lot to each and every member, and has made drawing this page up a pleasure, even in these difficult times.
Zoom home training
We’ve Oscar’s Online Zoom home cross-fit sessions three evenings a week! Participants have been donating to charity too, supporting the Prince and Princess of Wales Hospice. If you prefer Yoga, Kelly is running a weekly Yoga session too. Details generally on our members’ Facebook group, but please get in touch with us to find out more.
Just because we can’t race our favourite distance just now, doesn’t mean we can’t get out there and challenge ourselves, and each other: there’s loads to keep us motivated.
We are absolutely loving the Scottish Athletics organised virtual races taking place through this crisis, and really grateful to everybody at our governing body who helps make them happen. We were the biggest club, by participation, in the first virtual relay event. Not content there, in the second 15 minute challenge we won overall club in the club distance challenge and a total of seven categories!
In the 1 mile virtual time trial, our Ladies came 2nd Master’s team, and we were again the biggest club by participation with a whopping 77 members taking part. We’re eagerly awaiting the next challenge now!
In the meantime, our members are able to take on our own Strava segments we’ve setup and added to our club championship, to help take the place of some of the cancelled races. They’re publicly available, and full details on our news page.
We’re big fans of social media, and also have our popular club members’ forum too.
Our accounts have been buzzing with members virtually supporting each other, tackling our training plan, or just getting out for a run for the first time in a while. It’s great to have a supportive network. You can find us on the following places:
- Strava: strava.com/clubs/31150/
- Facebook: facebook.com/bellahoustonroadrunners/
- Twitter: @bellaroadrunner
- Instagram: @bellaroadrunner
- Posting weekly training updates from our coaches, to help keep structure and motivation going.
- Writing to members every month with a round-up of what’s been going on. Not everybody is on social media or checking our forum, so we thought an update email would help.
- A fantastic series of “Meet the Bellas” interviews has been run over on our private social media page, allowing members to get to know each other a bit better, virtually!
- Enjoying hosted quizzes!
- We had a great Zoom talk from Iain Reid Physiotherapy, about strengthening for runners.
- Members are volunteering at a local food bank in the Pollok area, helping with unpacking donations and sorting logistics. Many thanks to Rhoda for coordinating! Their brilliant efforts are helping 100+ lockdown-impacted families.
- Holding meetings online to keep the club ticking over. We had a huge turnout for our 2020 AGM, which featured various presentations and videos, which you can watch online. Plus our coaching group, Trustees and the coronavirus sub-group, are regularly meeting via Zoom.
- Enjoying great memories from our 20th anniversary birthday bash back in January! We had great fun, and Scottish Athletics published a fantastic article about it on their website.
Loads more on our news page!
- Scottish Athletics have a Coronavirus resource page, and some factsheets for athletes about maintaining their wellbeing and nutrition, during these extraordinary times.
- NHS Inform has a lot of Coronavirus information
- The Scottish Government has lots of details on Coronavirus
- For looking after our Mental health, SAMH has a great Coronavirus Mental Health Information Hub
- Closer to home you can find all of our Coronavirus news via the coronavirus tag.
Videos and Selfies!
It’s not all about running just now – many of us are finding motivation hard in the lockdown. Having fellow club members to support and encourage each other has been brilliant. It’s also about having lots of fun along the way. Club members have been creating a few videos through the crisis which you can catch on our youtube channel, and are embedded below!
We hope you like them!
Huge thanks to the many members involved in organising and putting these together, with a particular thank you to Laura, Leanne and Kevin. We’ve even had a spot of local newspaper coverage!
The Seven Golden Rules of Running Etiquette
Our very talented members Marty and Alan put this fantastic video together
Group Selfies – of a sort!
Our first foray into club-wide participation was a selfie challenge during the Scottish Athletics virtual relay. Members snapped a selfie, and they were brought together by Laura in a set of seven super selfies!
Home made race numbers featured in a few too, as well as lots of great pics with members sporting their club tops!
As part of the 15 minute time trial challenge, our ‘Bella twist’ was a shoe relay video featuring loads of members.
Bellas Breaking Free
After a busy weekend of running, many of us needed to get on with our housework 😜. Some of our talented members got together to create a fun video of everyone doing their household chores. We really can’t wait until lockdown is lifted so we can ‘Break Free’ !!!
Many thanks to Laura, Kevin and Leanne for coordinating everything, and to Marty and Alan for the soundtrack.
Bella Baton Bonanza!
This time we joined up with our local rivals Bellahouston Harriers to create the 💜BELLA BATON BONANZA💙 .
We miss seeing our competitors at local running events, and thought this would be a great way to link in with them and pass a virtual baton during lockdow.
A lockdown activities highlights reel
During our 2020 AGM, Club President Richard Leyton presented a video report of the year, which you watch here. At the end of the report, we featured a special video ‘Bella Twists’, which pulled together what we’ve been getting up to through lockdown, and tried to capture the spirit of club members throughout! We hope you like it!
Bellas climb Everest!
We love virtual challenges, and the hill challenge put it to clubs to accumulate the most ascent. Together the club climbed higher than Everest is above sea level!
Push up party
We challenged club members to do some pushups as part of the 2nd club relay challenge!